"[My relationships were] like I was in these movies where the script was only half-written. When I’d get to the end of this half-script, the other actors wanted me to ad lib. But I had never gotten the hang of that. That’s why these movies were always box-office failures. Six of them in the past twenty years. I always blew the lines." ~ from my horrible first novel "Learn How To Pretend." (unpublished)(obviously)

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Examining Life

The past year and a half has been, for me, a time of rapid and constant change. I remember thinking, last summer when I was up in Taos, New Mexico for a Writers' Conference, that that was the end of the life I'd lived the previous eight years while I'd been in college, and that when I returned, my life would be something very different. I don't think I could have predicted how much so.

I feel, now, like I am needing to take every little aspect of my life and, like a piece of clothing, shake it out and inspect it for usefulness, check the pockets for pens, Kleenex, or spare change, and then either throw it in the washing machine, or donate it to Goodwill. Some pieces of clothing are hard to get rid of, even if they don't fit or are out of style. I don't know if any of that makes sense, but it's a good analogy for me. And it's a task I can't just keep putting off.

Thanks to MB for the inspiration for this post and for being a spiritual alarm clock for me.

No comments: