"[My relationships were] like I was in these movies where the script was only half-written. When I’d get to the end of this half-script, the other actors wanted me to ad lib. But I had never gotten the hang of that. That’s why these movies were always box-office failures. Six of them in the past twenty years. I always blew the lines." ~ from my horrible first novel "Learn How To Pretend." (unpublished)(obviously)

Monday, March 04, 2013

Three poems by me...

-->Splitting Hairs



I’m not one to split hairs.

            D’ya think?



Nor am I one to strain out

a gnat and swallow a camel.

            Or am I? (At least a toe?)



And I’m certainly not one to

hold something against you.

            But I could be.



“Please,” you say, with a giggle,

“Hold something against me.”

Pour Vous Au Lait




Let me pour milk in secret places.

Kiss the cream from buds of roses.

Lapping milk from out your dish

as a hungry mewling kitten,

‘til you purr like rolling thunder,

and the dish jumps up and splashes,

and the milk runs down my whiskers,

and we lie abed and giggle,

like two children who are well-fed.

Delta Blues




In my office today,

obviously at ease around me,

You took refuge from your job,
sitting slightly back in a chair

with your legs spread as far as your

tight skirt and an overt sense

of propriety would allow.
From the corner of my eye I spied

the tiniest triangle of white cotton
Was your brain off-planet, like the rest of us?
Or were you making an offer,

some sort of backhanded compliment?

©2007 Rick Robb

No comments: