"[My relationships were] like I was in these movies where the script was only half-written. When I’d get to the end of this half-script, the other actors wanted me to ad lib. But I had never gotten the hang of that. That’s why these movies were always box-office failures. Six of them in the past twenty years. I always blew the lines." ~ from my horrible first novel "Learn How To Pretend." (unpublished)(obviously)

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How to work like a writer 


How to work like a writer
        1. Ignore deadlines.
        2. Take criticism badly. 
        3. Burn bridges. 
        4. Hate yourself. 
        5. Trust no one (especially not yourself). 
        6. Sabotage all of your personal relationships. 
        7. Drink heavily. 
You might not get a lot of respect as a writer, but the crippling self-doubt and soul-crushing poverty make it all worth it.

No comments: