"[My relationships were] like I was in these movies where the script was only half-written. When I’d get to the end of this half-script, the other actors wanted me to ad lib. But I had never gotten the hang of that. That’s why these movies were always box-office failures. Six of them in the past twenty years. I always blew the lines." ~ from my horrible first novel "Learn How To Pretend." (unpublished)(obviously)

Friday, October 12, 2012

Why DOES Your Life Suck? Or, DOES it?

I was at a public library yesterday for the first time in years. After eight years of University libraries, it was pretty sad, but that's another story. I happened to look through a book titled "Why Your Life Sucks." (Which ironically is probably not available at the University library.) I don't know that it answered that question for me, per se, but it did give me some food for thought. I've highlighted a few lines that particularly struck me as helpful.

Photo by Rick
 ________________________________
Toxic Relationships:
Some relationships are downright abusive, and no one with self-respect should be subject to them. If your partner regularly hurts you physically, emotionally, or mentally, get out while you are still alive. This also applies to family members who dump guilt habitually; businesses in which an employer (or employee) makes unreasonable demands; and friendships in which one person takes advantage of another. Your mind chides, "You deserve to put up with this," while your soul urges you, "Take care of yourself." Listen to the voice of reason, not guilt or fear.

Mismatched Relationships:
You may find yourself working, living, or sleeping with someone who does not share your values or intentions. Their interests may be honorable, but they do not match yours. If your differences are minor, you can overlook them. But if you are watching significantly different movies, there is no purpose in trying to force the situation. No one is wrong. You just both have a right place elsewhere.


Leaving a relationship does not always mean you must go away. Sometimes your boredom, pain, or conflict is an invitation to move to the next level with your partner. In this sense, you are being called to leave a relationship that is not working and recreate it so it matches your vision.”



Photo Creative Commons License
This work by Rick Robb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

No comments: