"[My relationships were] like I was in these movies where the script was only half-written. When I’d get to the end of this half-script, the other actors wanted me to ad lib. But I had never gotten the hang of that. That’s why these movies were always box-office failures. Six of them in the past twenty years. I always blew the lines." ~ from my horrible first novel "Learn How To Pretend." (unpublished)(obviously)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Burn the suits. UPDATE

 
I hate suits. I hate ties. I hate the whole thing of what a suit represents. Fuck suits.

OK. Maybe there's a bit more to it than that. For one, I can't wear one, at least not off the rack. I just don't have the right build. My neck is larger than normal, so I have a hard time finding my size in a dress shirt. If I do buy a shirt that fits my 18" neck, the rest of it is like a goddamn tent. The shirts never stay tucked in. The shoes are not comfortable. The pants feel like they're made of tissue paper. I either sweat in them or freeze in them. They are, in short, uncomfortable.

They are elitist. They are a uniform. They are the Kool-Ade you have to drink to participate in our culture. You can buy one, probably, at WalMart, but if you want to buy a "good" one, you better have deep pockets. In other words, if you want to look good in a suit, it's going to cost you.

We've convinced ourselves that they look good and, maybe, yes, a handful of men pull it off. much in the same way that only a handful of women can pull off low-rise jeans.

I'm beginning to equate them with terms like "career" and "success," meaningless phrases.

I don't want to own a business suit. I don't want to own one for job interviews or a funeral. I don't want what it represents. It represents domination. It represents greed. It represents "I'm Right and You're Wrong." It represents "My Dick is Bigger Than Yours." It represents the dominant paradigm. It represents bullshit.

My brothers, hear my cry. Burn your suits now! Shred the tie. Refuse to participate.

UPDATE: So I was thinking about this today. What is it about suits and society? Suits are normal. When we see a man in a suit, our brains don't have to think. We think "success," and that's something that has been ingrained in our collective American consciousness over the past century, especially post-WWII. Men in suits don't necessarily mean "Good Guy." We certainly get criminals in film wearing suits.  But they are successful criminals. Suits equal wealth, or the illusion of wealth. Or, at the very least, a suit that fits reasonably well says "I am not homeless." 

Again, with a suit, our brain does not have to think. We see a man in a suit as safe, at least from bodily harm. While we might have to out-think him, we won't have to out-run him

No comments: