"[My relationships were] like I was in these movies where the script was only half-written. When I’d get to the end of this half-script, the other actors wanted me to ad lib. But I had never gotten the hang of that. That’s why these movies were always box-office failures. Six of them in the past twenty years. I always blew the lines." ~ from my horrible first novel "Learn How To Pretend." (unpublished)(obviously)

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Support Team Report.

In case you were wondering – I know you weren’t, but you can’t tell the players without a scorecard. Dig? These are the people who have listened to me piss, moan, whine, wail, rail against God, cry like a baby, and laugh like a drunken fool.

CD. A friend from grad-school who is about a year older than me. We’re at a similar place, headwise, in regard to our religio-philosphical beleifs. CD was raised an evangelical Christian, and I came to it for a brief time later in life. These days we both reject the rigidity of the ‘faith’ and tend to lean toward Buddhist philosophies—from a Christian perspective, I guess. We both have some fucked up issues regarding past love-relationships/marriages. CONTACT: Phone and over a few beers.

TT. A guy I’ve known for some 20 years. A devout right-wing Christian. Believes in guns and republicans. Very anti-every other religion (though seems to have no qualms with a Mormon president.) Despite that, the man has a wide-open heart. He’s spent the past 15 or so years living outside the U.S. as a missionary in electronic media. CONTACT: Email.
LG. Actually, she’s now LK. I had A huge crush on her when we worked together back in the late 90/early 2Ks. LK is also a Christian and for some silly reason maintains a faith in God. CONTACT: Email.

EM. Former co-worker whom I’ve stayed in touch with. 30 some years younger than me. Had a huge crush on her. A HUGE crush on her. She’s a grad student on the east coast now. We share a lot of neuroses. Despite the lingering crushiness, I know that is stupid. CONTACT: Primarily Words With Friends chat.

VD. Known this guy the longest – since high school days. We’ve led these weird parallel lives since he moved to  Maryland. Getting married, having kids, finding and losing Jesus, getting divorced. I can say just about anything to V. CONTACT: Mainly by phone and a stupid blog we co-edit, though haven’t updated in months.

No comments: